Welcome to Manatee High School's Class of 1973 Web site.
We hope that this site can be used as a focal point for
those members of our class wishing to contact fellow members,
share life experiences or simply would like to see old friends in our photos.
Manatee High School can trace back its roots to a donation of land by Dr. Charles Ballard, a local businessman, legislator and philanthropist. According to the History of Ballard Elementary School website, the land was located where the present Manatee County School Board Administration Building now stands. Dr. Ballard died in 1901, "leaving behind both educational and religious legacies for the community." Manatee High School was called Manatee County High School. Later, Manatee County High School moved to our present location and was named Bradenton High School. By 1932, the new high school building, at the school's present location, was in use. It would later be named the Davis Building, in honor of principal Paul F. Davis. In 1947, we merged with Palmetto High School and became Manatee County High School again. In 1959, Palmetto went back across the river and we became Manatee High School." The 1969-70 school year was a time of substantial change at MHS. With what the 1970 yearbook described as the "full desegregation" of the school that year and its conversion from a 3-year to a 4-year institution, MHS suddenly became much larger and more diverse. Part of the transformation of MHS was the annexation of the old Walker Junior High campus, which was located across 11th Avenue West from the Davis Building. It became the South Campus, and the Walker building was eventually razed as part of the major reconstruction of the campus that took place in the late 1990's.
In 1921, its first yearbook was published. In the early years of the school, the yearbook was called the Macohi. Later, the yearbook's name was changed to the 'Cane Echo, and the student newspaper became the Macohi.
Betsy Keaton Powers